LAKE COUNTY MUSEUMS
Home Up POMO FOREIGNERS

Home
Up
POMO
FOREIGNERS

 

Lake County Courthouse

The Lake County Courthouse, located at 255 North Main Street in Lakeport, California, is a two-story, 66-by-44-foot, vine-covered brick structure. The bricks were kilned at Lakeport and have been covered with concrete. The building also has a cast iron balcony centered above the entrance on the second floor that was used by the court bailiff when court was in session. Designed by A. P. Petit in 1871, this building served as the seat of county government from 1871 until 1968 when it was replaced by the new courthouse. The Lake County Courthouse is more than 100 years old and was listed in the National Register of Historic Buildings in 1970. At that time, it was the first courthouse in the state of California listed in the National Register. It now houses the Lake County Pioneer and Indian Museum.

 The Lake County Courthouse was the scene of many trials when it served as the seat of county government. For Indian people, it served as the birthplace of voting rights for all California Indians. In 1915, Ethan Anderson, a Pomo Indian from off the reservation, attempted to register to vote with the Lake County Clerk. When he was refused, Lake County Indians held meetings and raised money to pay for a lawsuit.

Lake County Historic Courthouse Museum
255 North Main Street
Lakeport, California
(707) 263-4555

Open
Wednesday - Saturday
11am - 4pm

 

 

Send mail to waznu@anotherdumbsite.com with questions or comments about this web site.
Copyright 2000 WAZNU.COM
Last modified: September 31, 2007